Senorita Sassy Pants

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Hot and Black


So, nothing really interesting has happened to me at work since my short stint as the hostess when an elderly gentlemen swatted me on the rear as he was leaving the restaurant, until this last Saturday night. Since I took the week off to go to Indiana to decide whether we were moving to Indiana or not, and since serving doesn't pay a whole lot and PartyLite is still taking off (it will take off, by the way), I told Molly I would take extra shifts. So I had to work last Saturday night. I got there at 5 and I was expecting it to be really busy. It was pretty slow, and I was a little relieved because everyone told me how crazy Sat. nights were. Well my first table was an older African American gentlemen, his wife, their son ( I assume) and his wife who happened to be caucasian (I'm trying to be politically correct here). They were quite friendly, joking around, etc. As their dinner drew to an end, they were having coffee and I asked the older gentlemen if he would like cream in his coffee. As you are probably guessing by now, he responded with, "No thanks. I like my coffee how I like my women, hot and black." Needless to say I was taken aback. But since the whole table threw their heads back in laughter, I joined in the ruckus. Funniest thing I've heard all summer. Ah, my night was going well. Then around 8 it picked up quite a bit, I thought the night would never end, and I didn't clock out until midnight. I did walk out with $140 in tips which will go towards our 2 cars that decided to break down the same week. Fun!!!!

8 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Working there has given you some great stories! It is great to see God provide what we need when we need it! I come back on Saturday the 29th. Miss seeing you and I need to be back so I can focus on WW. Yikes!

6:41 AM  
Blogger Peter Brown said...

140! in tips! I made 60 once and almost had a parade.I worked as a server for 6 weeks. I refer to it as my lowpoint. It seems your doing much better. and I'm impressed. If I heard one more person say "I didn't order this" When I gave them the bill, I was going to sock em.

I don't think I have the servants heart

8:30 AM  
Blogger J Crew said...

Great comment. That guy is the man

9:15 AM  
Blogger jbau said...

If i hear one more person say, "I didn't order the Spring Organic salad; I ordered the Organic Spinach Salad", I'm going to pour the salad down their shirts, and say, "It's organic; it's good for you!"
It's salad! It's all the same-get a grip! Only in Sonoma County.
Today I didn't make quite as much in tips, so I'm bitter, can you tell?

4:13 PM  
Blogger Peter Brown said...

Only $130 tonight? It wasn't the least bit evident in your tone. It amazes me what people get hung up on... For instence the taste test... I think it was foldgers choice that did those phoney "swap" commercials in the 80's. People want expensive taste but most people could drink sod and not know the difference. It think people want to believe they're refined, and not the same as a costco tub of yuban buyer.

Anyways... uhm... back to my cup of caffeinated coffemate.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Ando said...

I prefer Sanka.

11:21 AM  
Blogger jbau said...

One day, this guy asked me for a glass of white wine that tasted "creamy" and he wanted it at room temperature, and he wanted something else, equally as lame. and i couldn't help but think that if I met him in the alley, I could totally take him.
I know people are really into wine. But it sounded so silly- a creamy wine. Then if I happen to bring people the wrong kind of wine or beer, they look at you like your such an idiot, just a simple little imp.
If only they knew how often I spit in their food.............. just kidding.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Peter Brown said...

As any wine snob knows, a good white wine can stand on it's own at room temp. As for the creamy bit, i think he was playing with you... I would have served some warm milk... that would be funny...for a second or two.

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home